Friday, November 01, 2013

November's Habit: Duolingo

This month I am going to recognize something I have been doing for the last month and would like to continue officially.  My brother got me into Duolingo.com.  Duolingo is a free language learning app for smartphones, tablets, and desktops.  It is great, especially since I am not actually learning my languages for the first time, but refreshing them.  I took German in high school and college, then studied abroad in Italy and took away an Italian minor.  It has been 10 years since coming home from Florence and I have used both of my languages only a handful of times since then.  I want to get my languages back where they were (and then some), so doing at least 1 lesson per day per language on Duolingo will really help.  I can tell a huge difference already.  So, there is my plan.

In the month of November, I will complete 1 lesson of both German and Italian on the Duolingo language app every day.  I hope you will join me!  If we connect as friends we can engage in a little friendly competition.  I'm ahead of my brother in points at this moment.  Boom!

P S.  I should mention that I consider "every day" to be six days per week.  Everyone needs a day of rest!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:44 PM

    That is terrific!!! Good for you. It is so easy to get rusty in any language if you don't use it often - even if it is your native language :) That sounds like a good program and I am glad that Michael got you interested in it. I always like to tell the story about when you and Michael traveled Europe on your 3-week vacation when you were in Italy. You both speak English - Michael spoke Spanish and French, and you spoke German and Italian. So together you could speak five languages. Perfect way to travel Europe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:46 PM

    Love from Ouida :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom - Laura1:56 AM

    You are so organized and disciplined! Good for you and I can't wait to hear what difference this makes for you. I am still planning on a European trip with my linguistic kids!

    ReplyDelete