Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Halloween Party Korean style

My students have been planning a Halloween bash for about a month now. They don't celebrate Halloween in Korea and had only seen Halloween in the movies. So they were VERY excited. They wrote out beautiful invitations and I explained all about RSVPs and Halloween traditions.

I told them that some people don't celebrate Halloween because they think it is worshiping he devil. I told them about bobbing for apples and trick or treating. Then I told them that some people kill black cats on Halloween because they think they are evil. I realized I gave them the wrong idea when I read one of their diary entries (a school assignment): "We learned the holiday Halloween. Some people don't celebrate Halloween and kill cats because they think they are evil." Oops.

Their oven was broken so they came to my house to bake pies and such. I made some rice Krispie treats because they said they don't have them in Korea. Those are pretty easy to make. Here I am walking out the door to the party with my costume and my treats. I am an Indian...er... Native American.


My mom made this cosutme for me for last Thanksgiving. She likes us to dress as Indians and Pilgrams for our meal. It is quite a sight. Anyway, this is a picture some of my students in their costumes. They decorated their house up nicely!


A lot of people came. I was glad becuase NO ONE RSVPed. I was actually kind of embarrassed. I taught them about RSVP and then no one did. They borrowed a Japanese horror movie to watch. They told me it was really scary. I didn't think it would be that bad so I watched it. It turns out that this is the movie that "the grudge" is made from. "The grudge" is just the English version. I never saw "the grudge" because I really didn't want to. So I was tricked into watching it with subtitles basically.


After that, I taught them to play spoons. They really got into it and there was a lot of shrieking and trash talking. Then we played black jack and rummy.


I had taught them those games earlier during a culture class. None of them knew any card games except "one card" which is uno with playing cards. Anyway, we had a good time and I want to have a Halloween party every year. That would be fun.

2 comments:

  1. And glad that you are on our team indeed! Sorry you missed last game, but looks like you had a great time!!
    Matt and I wore large busy wigs with headbands, short shorts and high socks for the game on halloween. We lost the first game and then rallied to win the last two!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:05 PM

    Looks like you showed your students a really authentic Halloween celebration. Cute. I think we had only one trick-or-treat group. G-Pa went to the door - I hadn't prepared anything - and then went running to one of his drawers where he hides some candy - Werthers - and came back with handfuls for them. Our town provides a really nice celebration to keep the kids off the streets, so that is why I did not prepare anything.

    ReplyDelete