Saturday, May 04, 2013

May's Habit: Drink Water

I know you have all been waiting with baited breath (Let's pause for moment to ponder where that idiom originated.......) to hear what my habit of the month is.  Well, I shall hold you in suspense no longer.  This month I would like to make it a habit to drink 3 liters of water every day.  Before this month, I considered it a good day when I would get 3 cups of water down.  -gasp- I know.  Sometimes I would go to bed and then realize I hadn't drunk any water all day.  I'm breastfeeding right now and plan to continue to do so for about another year so I think that this is an important habit to get into if I'm not going to shrivel up and blow away like a crunchy, dried-up fall leaf.  

Drinking enough water is supposed to be very beneficial.  When I was looking up the benefits of staying well hydrated, I came across a lot of lists.  "The 5 biggest benefits of sporting a water mustache" "9 ways that being well hydrated attracts men" "11 reasons to marry your water bottle", etc. They went on and on.  I kept reading until I got to one that boasted 50+ points, then decided to make my own list.

7 Ways Water Will Rock My World

  1. Make my skin look younger 
  2. Prevent my lips from getting chapped
  3. Give me more energy
  4. Flush toxins out of my system
  5. Give my organs an easier job
  6. Boost my metabolism
  7. Get rid of my irritability
So basically I'm expecting drinking 3 liters of water every day will solve every problem that I have ever had.  

Here are my strategies for keeping up this tricky habit that I have failed at so many times before:

1.  Write this blog.  

I know that I will have to give you all an update at the end of this month. I better follow through with this or you are all going to laugh at me!!

2.  Designate a special water bottle as mine

Jason recently bought this pretty little bottle for me.
 It is BPA free, and .75 liters so I have to empty it into my body 4 times per day.  Now that I have my OWN water bottle, it will be easier to track how much I have drunk.  Now if only I can stop Jason and Hazel from poaching my water and convince them to use their own "sippies" as we call them, I would be able to more accurately track my intake.

3.  Track my intake

I searched through a lot of different apps for my iphone.  There were some cute free ones.  TONS of them actually.  I finally decided on iDration.  Clever eh?  It cost me 99 cents (oh the humanity!) but the ease of use and of appealing design of the platform was worth every penny.  

4.  Set up a reminder system 

iDration not only tracks my intake, it also send me push notifications throughout the day to remind me to drink more water.  

5.  Reward myself with a new water bottle at the end of the month

Ever since I saw it on pinterest, I have been lusting after this super duper cool water bottle!
  I think it would be a nice way to reward myself for a job well done.  

3 comments:

  1. Dude, that water bottle is awesome! This is a struggle of mine, too - drinking enough water. I have my own bottle that I take to work with me and the goal is to finish it before I get home. I also drink two glasses in the morning before breakfast. But I almost always bring home water after work rather than an empty bottle. I'm working on that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miljoy12:05 AM

    I am so impressed by how you thought through from forming to executing steps to reach your goal. All the markers for good therapy/ creating good habits -- identifying a specific goal that's reasonable, measurable, having an incentive. Can you help me make a plan to reach my goals?? :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course Miljoy! That's what marties are for!

    ReplyDelete