Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Exciting 3-D Microbiology Experience!

I am sitting in microbiology right now and I thought I would give you a little peek into my life. I am going to type exactly what I hear the teacher saying. This probably won’t be too interesting….

“The FC portion of the molecule is really quite important because cells like the macrophage have FC receptors on its surface. What that means is that the immunoglobulin molecule can attach by it’s FC tail”…..”also on basophiles and mast cells which are responsible for the allergies that we face from time to time. Now what I would like to do next, and we have touched on this before, I would like for us to go over the various isotypes that we talked about before. Let’s talk about them, just in a little more detail. Remember these are five istotypes that are based on the constant region on the heavy chain. “

“So if you want to protect the person against diphtheria you would give that person anti serum, or diphtheria anti-serum for that antigen. So anti-serum always refers to serum that has antibodies. The other thing that I want to mention is this term titer. What does that mean? It refers to the concentration of immunoglobulin, of antibodies in the serum. Let me ask you this, is a higher titer a better situation than a low titer? Yes or no? The answer is yes.”

Here are two paragraphs I was able to type down. You guys should try that. It is harder to type exactly what a person says that I thought it would be. Then again, I don’t type the fastest.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:21 PM

    I just remembered why I didn't take Microbiology in college. Just not my thing, okay? Course, I don't necessarily think you have to go to college to know that a higher titer is much better than a lower titer. Duh!

    Mahi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, at least you're teacher communicates clearly.

    ReplyDelete