Thursday, October 23, 2008

27 Dresses


Today I watched 27 Dresses. My mom and I kept meaning to see it in the theater together but our schedule never worked out. So today I got in through my netflix account and watched it by myself.

This movie reinforced my observation that all romantic comedies are alike. "Obviously Larissa, that is why it has its own genre..." Yes, but hear me out. Every romantic comedy follows this simple pattern:

1. Boy meets girl.
2. Boy and girl argue and sass each other every time they see each other. This is to show us that there is underlying passion in the relationship.
3. Boy or girl is hiding something that would hurt the other person. For example: a bet, an unflattering newspaper story, their real identity, etc.
4. Even though they fight all the time, they find themselves falling in love with each other.
5. In the process of falling in love, they learn how to be a better person and regret the secret that they are hiding.
6. Right before the guilty party is about to come clean about their secret and confess their undying love to the other, the injured party finds out the secret.
7. Boy and girl fight big time and the injured party never wants to see the guilty party again.
8. One of them talks to their wacky friend and suddenly understands that they cannot live without the other person.
9. They run, speed, swim, jump, fly, slide, bike to catch their sweetheart and declare their undying love just before the other party: moves to timbuktu, marries another person in spite, or leaves for the peace corps.
10. There is a teary-eyed declaration of love and all paths are made clear.
11. The last scene is of a wedding.

27 dresses was fun! But, it certainly didn't break from the expected pattern. Then again, I think I might be dissapointed if a romantic comedy did try to break the mold. I would cry and say, "Hey, that's not how it's supposed to end up!"

1 comment:

  1. I think your pattern is clever. True and makes me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete