Thursday, May 01, 2008

Some Mean Insect

Last night, about 10 minutes after brushing Mosey's teeth, he looked at back door suddenly and seriously.  He obviously wanted out.   When I went out a minute later to see if he was done, I saw him crouched over an enormous pile of vomit.  Big deal, dogs vomit a lot, plus
 there were the remains of some of his toys that he has recently destroyed in the slop.  He wouldn't come back inside with me.  He stood out there.  Then he started vomiting again.  I looked at him and it seemed like he had been digging; his upper lip was brown.  I went to feel it and it was hard as a rock and swollen.  I freaked out and ran in to get Jason.  Mosey vomited a total of 5 times and then a mess came very suddenly out the other end.  He was definitely having some sort of allergic reaction.  He rushed him to the emergency vet clinic.  He was drowsy and I held onto him the entire drive to make sure he was still breathing.  

The vet was really nice.  She gave him two shots and then we just waited to see if 
he got a little better.  I guess he had hives too.  Vets must be good to be able to see hives under all that fur.  She said such a serious and sudden reaction is pretty rare.  He was very pathetic, trying to crawl into our laps the whole time.  Anyway, here he is on the examination table. 

Obviously we didn't grab our camera as we ran out the door to the ER so we had to rely on our bottom of the line camera phones.  Jason got a pretty good shot of the swelling.  We figure he got a hold of a slow moving mean insect of some sort and had this terrible reaction.  The vet said that when they are this young and have a bad first reaction, they usually grow out of it.  So that was a relief.  He is back to normal, thank you Jesus!  Here he is this morning in the bathtub.  I don't know why decided to crawl in there and curl up while I was brushing my teeth.  Maybe he was hot.....



1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:55 PM

    i heard about that. pooor mosey. having an ouchy lip. that's just like a adolescent isn't it, giving you grief getting into things he shouldn't trying drug (rat poison) kids these days.

    ReplyDelete