Sunday, May 18, 2008

Tandem


On Saturday, Jason, my mom, Rudy (Jason's classmate) and Motoko (Rudy's wife) went to Santa Monica to try out our new tandem bikes.  Jason found a good deal and the boys bought one each.  It was quite fun but horrible for me to be out of control because I sat in the back while Jason steered.  It turned me into a shrill nagging hag.  "JASON!  Are you trying to steer us into the sand??" and "What are you trying to prove?  That you have more testosterone than Rudy??!!  Slow down!"  Anyway, Jason is a pretty easygoing guy so it barely ruffled his feathers.
  

You can see me just peeking over the back of Jason's shoulder.  We biked from Santa Monica to Venice beach which is about 4 miles away.  It was quite relaxing when I didn't look where we were going and how close we were to imminent danger.  On the back of the tandem, I could do just that.  In fact, I could even let go of the handle bars without fear of falling.  So that was fun.  

After, biking and laying on the beach for a while, we headed to a Japanese market in Torrance.  Motoko needed to stock up on food stuffs and I was all too eager to follow her around asking questions.  I bought some cool mushrooms that I had in a great soup while in China last year.  I will endeavor to accomplish the same recipe.  We will see.  Then we went to the food court.


After eating some great udon, I taste-tested some "siduhowbogi" that they gave to my mom for messing up her order.  It was not what I was expecting. 


As Jason said after taking a huge bite, "Hmmmm... a salty gummy."  Which is exactly what it was.  It tasted like a bouillon gummy bear.  I will let you know how the mushroom soup turns out.  

4 comments:

  1. Salty gummy... that doesn't sound so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it hard to dismount on a tandem bike? That's what I've heard -- kinda hard on the groin if you do it wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not too hard to get off the back but Jason had a hard time dismounting off the front of the bike. But that is only because he could never remember to lift his leg forward instead of backward. It would always get stuck on my handlebar... :]

    ReplyDelete