Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Sushi: Korean Style



Today, some of my students made me some Korean sushi.  It has a Korean name but I didn't memorize it.  Anyway, they are a husband and wife and the wife gave me a tupperware of it while her husband was out of the room.  She said "All vegetable" so I would know it was vegetarian.  I promptly popped two into my mouth and chewed happily.  They were good!  The husband came in and said "You are vegetarian but you eat fish right?"  Ummmmm..... no.  Uh-oh.  Turns out the whitish pink thing was imitation razor clam.  But imitation just means it is halibut flavored like clam.  Ugh...  I looked at my beautiful tupperware of sushi and at their stricken faces and started to push the pieces of offending meet out 'Jenga' style.  I put the clam on a paper towel and gave it back to them so it wouldn't go to waste.  They bowed and thanked me.  I thanked them and chowed down on my sushi trying not to think about the two pieces I had eaten before.  Now I had 8 pieces of sushi that looked like rice donuts because of the hole in the middle.  

Sadly, the sushi tasted better with the clam.  But they were still delicious!!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:39 PM

    Larissa had me eating these things, and this is the first I've heard of the clams. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:29 PM

    Hah! You finally ate fish!!! Well, now that you see it did not kill you, let's have a fish fry! Mahi

    ReplyDelete