Saturday, August 09, 2008

African/Jazz Fusion?

Tonight, Jason and I went to a performance at the Redlands Bowl.  I talked Jason into going when he just wanted to stay home and watch the opening ceremony of the Olympics.  I was adamant that he go with me as he had never experienced the Redlands Bowl.  

I had been looking forward to this dance group for a long time.  It was advertised as a fusion of African and jazz dances.  I was very excited as I pictured a strong beat and amazing cutting edge dance moves.  What we got for the first couple songs was dancers in clown outfits doing some jazz and African dance moves to some utterly beat-less classical music.  When I say jazz and African dance moves, I mean it was mostly jazz with a couple of African moves inexplicably thrown in at random beat-less times.  

There was one song I really liked as it showcased some very talented drummers.  But other than that, I was very disappointed.  We left at intermission and still missed the exciting part of the opening ceremonies.  Hmmm...  I hope I can get Jason to go with me again...  

2 comments:

  1. That's disappointing. I'm sorry it didn't live up to your expectations. It does sound cool, though. I see why you wanted to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad...:( You look really enthused in your picture.

    ReplyDelete