Thursday, August 28, 2008

Audition for Sarah, Plain and Tall

Tonight I auditioned for a local play called Sarah, Plain and Tall. Here I am about to go into the theater to audition.


I walked in and stood in line for a long time. After about 15 minutes, the lady who was signing us in, yelled to one of her helpers, "Hey can you ask the director what she wants me to tell the people who didn't know they were supposed to prepare a monologue?" My heart did a flip. I was one of those people. I was worried but not insanely so because at least I knew there were others in my same situation.  The helper came back and said that the unprepared people should just recite something they have memorized.... like the Declaration of Independence or something. Hmm. Well, I did memorize that one poem a couple years ago. I quickly looked up the poem on my iPhone and relearned it. Turns out I had plenty of time to do so since I ended up waiting 2 hours!

When I finally got into the audition room, I told them I could make up a monologue or recite a poem. They asked me which one would better showcase my skills. When I hesitated, they asked me to recite the poem. I was worried about the poem (If you were coming in the fall, by Emily Dickenson) because I hadn't ever recited it out loud. I didn't know if would turn out any good. Well, I recited it and it worked really well! Now I know what to do if I am unprepared again. We will see if I got a part. I will keep you updated.

4 comments:

  1. You are tall, but not plain! Still, I hope you get a part--that would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I like the picture for today. And way to go spur of the moment. I would have been stuck, because I don't think I can remember all of the one Shakespeare sonnet I had to recite in college. Of course, I probably wouldn't have been auditioning. So there you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:37 AM

    You know, it's really sad that I have to learn all this stuff about you from reading your blog when you live less than 10 minutes away. Sad I am so busy. Sad you are so busy. But maybe not so sad, we both seem to like to stay busy, just not too busy for each other. That's the sad part.

    Mahi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:24 PM

    We saw the movie, Sarah, Plain and Tall. I think it was Glen Close that played the part of Sarah, eh? It was a beautiful story, but it seemed to be strung out too long.

    ReplyDelete